Monday, August 01, 2016

2018 World Equestrian Games will not be held at Kentucky Horse Park, state says

Kentucky.com - Full Article

BY JANET PATTON
jpatton1@herald-leader.com

Kentucky will not pursue the 2018 World Equestrian Games which were pulled from Canada last week, because the state determined it would “put the Commonwealth and the taxpayers at enormous financial risk.”

Also, according to a statement from the Cabinet for Tourism, Arts and Heritage, it would be too difficult to pull it together in just two years.

Bromont, Quebec, had been scheduled to host world championships in eight equestrian disciplines on Aug. 12-26, 2018, but on July 22, the Federation Equestre Internationale announced that by mutual agreement the games were pulled “due to ongoing financial issues.”

After a second round of bidding, Bromont had been awarded the games in 2014 over Kentucky, which sought to host its second world championships.

Last week’s announcement led to widespread speculation that the Kentucky Horse Park would be a potential fallback location for the 2018 games. But tourism cabinet spokeswoman Laura Brooks said Friday morning that will not be the case...

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/article92586787.html#storylink=cpy