In October 2017 we hold the second edition of Race the Wild Coast: a new breed of horse race. Riders, with a team of three horses, compete for victory over 350km of rugged paradise on the remote east coast of South Africa; navigating through this challenging wilderness, swimming rivers and keeping horses fit for vet checks in this complex multi stage race will challenge the endurance of any horseback adventurer.
• Total distance: 350 kilometres.
• A multi stage format including: dawn start and dusk cut-off, compulsory holds for tide affected river crossings and timed releases.
• Each rider has a team of 3 horses provided by a South African stud.
• There will be two horse changes at prescribed points: 123km and 209km into the race respectively.
• Each stage ends with a vet check for the horses (approximately every 40km). A rider may only continue without penalty if their horse passes the vet check.
• A recommended track with alternative routes or simply a stage destination, dependent on the terrain, will be provided on GPS to aid navigation. There will be no route markings on the ground.
• The race window is a total of 5 days with the organisers expecting the winner to finish early on the fourth day.
• This race will be a complex combination of endurance, horsemanship, navigation, strategy and what Mother Nature throws at you!
• The Wild Coast on the eastern seaboard of South Africa, from Port Edward to Kei Mouth.
• Competitors will be transferred from Durban’s King Shaka International Airport and fly out of East London Airport at the conclusion of the race.
• 24th – 31st October 2017.
• Pre-Race training 24th – 26th October. Race 27th – 31st October. Depart 1st November.
• Competitors transfer from Durban to the start camp on the 24th of October for a race briefing followed on the 25th and 26th with meeting their horses and back up team, kit and tack testing, horse orientation (including practice swimming rivers) and team strategy discussions.
• The race starts at 09h00 on the 27th of October with a five-day window to complete the race.
• There will be a prize giving and spectacular celebration on the evening of the 31st, and on the 1st November our brave adventurers begin their journey homeward.
• The adventure format of the race requires real horsemanship skills, experience riding long distances and competence in operating a GPS; the critical aid to navigating in this landscape.
• Riders will need to be physically fit, confident swimmers and be comfortable in the wilderness, alone and self sufficient.
• Riders must complete an application form, including details of their qualifications to compete in the race. Acceptance of applications will be at the discretion of the organisers.
• GBP 5 150.00 or EUR 5 950.00 or USD 6 500.00
• The price includes all food, accommodation, horses, support crew, tack and transfers (from pick up in Durban to drop off in East London).
For more information, see:
Horse-canada.com March 6, 2018 by: Equestrian Canada The following Canadian athletes have been invited to the 2018 FEI World Equestrian...
The CI notation was later removed and does not now show up on the race stats Credit : Screen shot Grandprix-replay.com - Full Article ...
ItaliaEnduranceFestival.com 18/09/2017 - evento sportivo FEI MEYDAN Endurance Championship for athletes under 21 years of age; the cur...
Gulfnews.com - Full Article UAE riders sweep through Toscana Endurance event Published: 19:00 July 18, 2017 Gulf News Staff Report D...